Thursday, November 21, 2019

What is it Like to Have Fibroids?

Though fibroids eventually become common for a lot of women (often starting in the 30s, and becoming more likely as we age), not every woman has them and may wonder what it is like to have them.  For instance, you may want to visit your family doctor or gynecologist if you experience any of the following symptoms...














  [From my own experience] it started with very irregular and very heavy "menstrual" bleeding.  It started up about 2.5 years ago (in Spring of 2017), where my periods were quite heavy - to the point where I ended up in the ER in May.  I was light-headed, dizzy and slightly nauseated from blood loss. As it turns out, I'm bordering on anemic and need iron supplements and a blood-clotting medication called Cyklokapron.  In addition to that, the cramps would feel like someone was karate-kicking me in the lower abdomen... the cramps were bad enough to occasionally cause fever, chills, vomiting and cold-sweats.  I've had to go home sick from work because of them.

In addition to heavy periods, they also cause frequent and irregular ones... I one time had over 6 weeks of continuous spotting, with some occasional "periods" - the bleeding went for near two months!  The anemia makes me tired, and also very cold most of the time.  I have to dress in layers and have the heat turned up high, since my body can no longer naturally warm itself.  

In 2018, I was diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), because I was experiencing a great deal of painful, gassy bloating (often looking 3 months pregnant), gradually-increasing bowel disturbances (less "regular" than I used to be), and some nausea.  Now it makes sense - my bowels are being pushed against by the ever-growing fibroids.

The fibroids are also putting pressure on my bladder, which leads to more frequent urgency.  Sadly, this can happen at night when I'm sound asleep, which is an annoying trip to the bathroom, with blurry eyes, that makes me feel like I may as well be 80 years old.

To be honest, as they were developing (before I was officially diagnosed in September 2019), I thought it might be perimenopause - the beginning stages of menopause, though at 31 I'm kind of too young for that. Perimenopause made sense to consider, due to my mood and sleep disturbances, changes in bathroom habits, irregular menstruation, and of course mild vaginal pain and discomfort with sexual intimacy. That's only been occurring for the last year or so... and again makes me feel like I may as well be 80.


🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴 🔴


Just a recap, the symptoms of fibroids may include:
  •  Heavy, prolonged uterine bleeding that can extend beyond typical periods and include spotting for weeks or months at a time.  If you soak through a pad or tampon within an hour or less, see a doctor!
  • Anemia (loss of iron) which leads to feeling cold, tired, & hungry a lot of the time.
  • Vaginal pain, dryness or other sensitivity with intimacy.
  • Pressure on your bowels and/or bladder, which can change your bathroom habits over time.
  • Nausea, fever, sometimes chills - this may be caused by nerves in the area as the fibroids grow.
  • Highly visible and painful bloating, which eventually interferes with being able to wear jeans.
  • Constant 'tummy ache' pain, similar to low-grade menstrual cramps.
  •  A feeling of 'heaviness' and pressure in the lower abdomen, vagina, and lower back.


When in doubt, ask your family doctor or gynecologist about new symptoms developing. 👍
 



No comments:

Post a Comment