Wednesday, November 20, 2019

What is Ekobi(TM)?

Yes, I did say I planned on going for a hysterectomy to resolve the unpleasant (and unsafe!) symptoms of my uterine fibroids...

Then, that thought was [at least temporarily] halted when I saw something awesome on the news last night, here in Alberta - there is a new technology for UAE (Uterine Artery Embolization), which involves the first biodegradable product for blocking the blood flow to the fibroids.  It is made, essentially, from the same material for dissolving stitches, and will eventually break down in the body when it's ready - after the fibroid tumors have shrunk from no more nutrition supplied by blood.


The awesome thing about this is that, while fibroids are being starved of blood, they should not be bleeding and the heavy periods [and related anemia] should subside - what great news!


I admit I was dreading the next appointment with my family doctor, having to ask about the next steps in booking a hysterectomy - now I feel excited to try this minimally-invasive procedure first, and see what becomes of the fibroids afterward.  Admittedly, I will probably still require a hysterectomy down the line (hoping for next autumn), but this can be a great delay in fibroid-growth.


Anyway, check out the website for Ekobi™




 

No comments:

Post a Comment